Saturday, August 16, 2008

Lower than the eukaryote....

I plan on doing more than reviewing games here, but that's the main thing I've been doing so far. All I can think when I do this is: do the people who write 'for real' game reviews actually PLAY the whole thing through first?

I mean, it would be wicked easy with a puzzle game. Those things take 15 minutes max to get the complete story. So that's one thing. And I guess you wouldn't HAVE to finish an FPS. You basically know the hows & whys of the shootenany in an hour or so, max. But some platformer? An RPG?

I've definitely got the impression they actually do, with some RPGs, anyway, or how else could they advertise a '40-hour playtime' or such? (My finished time to completion is always way longer than theirs.) But 40 hours – that's way more than even a book. And with a game they REALLY HATE, do they feel obligated to see it through? Especially when writing one of those seven-sentence capsule reviews?

I haven't finished any of the games I have talked about here. I don't feel like I'm cheating anyone here, but OTOH I am not getting paid and I don't have the suffocating self-importance of the '
professional game reviewer' (I think the latter may be a bigger factor in feeling obligated to complete a game. The Power Glove; it is so sweet.).

Does anyone know if they do or not?

No comments: